Monday, September 13, 2010

Youthful Rebellion

My son will turn 10 soon. I'm 53. Do the math. I'm a later-in-life parent with all the excess attention that suggests. One of the things I'm always looking forward to with some anxiety is my boy's rebellious phase. I think I would be crushed if he didn't rebel. And what have I left him to reject? Sex? Drugs? Revolution? Save me a taste. I don't see him headed into finance or war or bigotry, and if he did those avenues would lead to dead ends and he would be back soon. How will he break my heart?

Music. His music will break my heart. Not gangsta rap or death metal. I would not like that but at least there's some edge there. Instead he has gone for the "soft hits" genre. Magic 101.9. Stress-free music to get you through your work day. Abba, Footloose, Heart and another dozen vaguely familiar, bright and happy tunes from some in-between decade best forgotten. "Soft hits" could be some form of torture designed to leave no scars or bruises. I'll talk, I'll talk! Just make it stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment